Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Revolutionary "Snack Committee"

The time has come for another week of Vacation Bible School, and I can't wait to be a counselor again! Except, this year, I'm not just a counselor. I've been chosen to be a part of the "Snack Committee." One major aspect of the snacks during VBS is that they have to go along with the overarching theme of the day, so the snack items are listed as a part of the program. This could be something like "Masterpiece Munchies," which is decorating sugar cookies with frosting, sprinkles, etc, (showing that even though you're different, Jesus loves you). Along with the 4 other adults in the snack committee, our job was to find allergy-friendly substitutes for some of the ingredients for each day. But the thing I like the best about it is that EVERYONE is having the allergy-friendly version, so no one feels left out at all. I remember so many times when growing up where I'd go to parties and programs that might have had allergy friendly options, but everyone else was still eating something else. Even though I accepted this as a part of my life, I couldn't help but wish I could be like everyone else sometimes.

This revolutionary idea of everyone eating something that is safe makes me that much more excited to be a part of it! I can't wait to tell the children with food allergies that the snacks are safe for them and see the looks on their faces, for those expressions are the reason why I joined this committee. Not for myself and so that I can have a safe snack, but to see the pure excitement and relief on their faces as they realize they can have a safe snack.

I can't wait for it to begin tomorrow, and I hope the kids are as excited as I am!

-Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment