Friday, October 26, 2012

Recognizing Foods

Have you ever noticed that when it comes to what food looks and tastes like, its so easy to tell brands apart? I think this happens because we (those with food allergies that is) are constantly thinking about what we are eating.

The other day I was at a dance practice for my High School spirit week, which is pretty much a battle between the grades. Anyway, at this persons house, there was a bowl of potato chips. I could almost immediately pinpoint that they were Utz brand, which I am not allergic to. I was eating some, knowing that they were safe for me, when someone asked me: "How do you know you're not allergic to them?" I answered because they look and taste like Utz. Everyone around me gave me quizzical looks, and it wasn't until that moment that I realized other people don't have the same ability to tell foods and brands apart as I do. One girl went and grabbed the bag, and when she came back with an Utz potato chip bag, everyone was very impressed.

Looking back now, I know I definitely should have asked what brand they were. I was lucky this time in guessing right, but next time I might not be. Take this as a warning to all of you with food allergies. I know many of you are like me, and are easily able to tell foods apart- however it is not worth the risk it involves by guessing! Double check! Its better to be safe than sorry!

Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment