Monday, April 1, 2013

Subway Support

Just last week, my two sisters and I went to Subway for dinner. As I got in line, my sisters allowed me to go first. I immediately told the worker that I had food allergies, and before I could request the use of clean knives and gloves, this is what she said:

   "Let me wash my hands, then I'll get a brand new knife from the back."

Despite the simplicity of this gesture, I was so thankful that a company like Subway hires people legitimately capable of doing their job. This woman knew how to help me while keeping me safe, and it was awesome!

However, just two days ago, I had a bad Subway experience. This time, when I asked for a clean knife from the back, the worker was shocked and looked at me like I was crazy. He told me they did not have any clean knives in the back, but that he could use the bread knife. I okayed this, but the attitude of this man upset me. He was unwilling to cooperate to keep me safe and shocked when I asked for a slight adjustment. I ended up getting an itchy tongue after the second half of my sandwich, but with the help of Benadryll, I  wa able to avoid any further reaction.

If all employees were like the woman that served me at Subway, and not like the man, it would be so much easier for those with food allergies to go out and eat without being worried about reactions. I hope one day this can happen, but until then, please stay safe while dining out!

Best of Luck!

-Alli

2 comments:

  1. You should report this to Subway's management. I don't like to make trouble for employees, but this is a serious matter and you can definitely highlight how one employee made you feel safe and contrast that with the other employee's behavior. Each Subway is independently owned and operated, I believe, so I guess you'd have to call and ask if there is an email address you can use to contact the manager, if you'd rather write to them, as opposed to speaking on the phone. This can give them the opportunity to provide additional training to the less-than-helpful employee. You can also stress that you're not trying to get anyone fired, but you just want to be able to trust Subway and eat safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will! The only problem is that these were two different Subways. As you said, they are independently owned so it would be hard to get these two managers to talk. I'll look into it! Thank you!

      Delete